THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Once Upon a Time....

Let's face it. All fairy tales start out this way. And usually end with Happily Ever After.

Actually, technically, they all end with The End. If you're one of the lucky ones, you get the happily ever after.

But that's what bothers me. Why should we have to be lucky in order to get that?

See, I'm your typical Disney-princess-loving-drama-queen-damsel-in-distress. For years, I waited for my white knight to come along and rescue me. And when he didn't - I longed to find another one who would.

Until now.

I'm not a very confident person. I know there are a few things I'm good at, and a few things I'm GREAT at. But I believed in the fairy tale. If you just waited, it would come to you. Never mind my friends with the same desires I had actually moving forward and making their dreams come true with hard work and determination. Nope. I was the special one. I was going to be DISCOVERED in some grand Hollywood fashion.

After an agent saw me singing in a karaoke bar, he would pluck me from the depths of obscurity, and pitch me to show after show, bragging about my genius. I would start small, character roles, but then as the world fell in love with me, I would be a leading lady all the way. THEN it would be discovered that I'm not only amazing on film, but on stage, no star could compare.

I was going to win the Tony, the Oscar, the Emmy AND the Grammy. I was going to marry a brilliantly talented New York actor, and raise brilliantly talented little babies. We would split our time between coasts - our mansion in LA, and our three-floor penthouse suite in Manhatten. We would own condos around the world, and our children would want for nothing.

I would eternally thin, eternally youthful, and die with absolutely no regrets as the world mourned my passing.

YAH RIGHT.

In reality, my acting has gone nowhere, my singing less so, and as I hit 38 this year and look in the mirror, I realize that no one is coming to my rescue.



Not every woman gets her white knight. And what I've realized, is that I don't need ond. Sure it would be nice to meet a millionaire who just happens to think I'm the most ravishing creature on the face of the earth. I think my husband might have a problem with that though.

I don't need a white knight. Starting now, I'm rescuing myself.

And that's what this blog is. It's a purging of all un-realisitic fantasies, and it's to keep me grounded while I finally get my shit together. After all, it's only been at the top of my to-do list for the last twenty years. I think it's about time I got to it.

So, if you're along for the ride, I welcome you. Hopefully this will make you chuckle, make you smile, maybe make you cry a little. But above all, I hope that my journey to rescue my inner princess from the top of the tower can help you start your own journey.

So goodbye Cinderella, fair damsel in distress.  From now on, just call me Cindy.